Thursday, February 25, 2010

My "Grandma Sue" Rough Draft 4

Susan Anne Wells, was born September 17, 1947. We call her “Grandma Sue” though. Her last name was previously Jones. Public School # 27 was an elementary school she attended, in New York. Uniforms weren’t her favorite, but she had to wear one when she went to a private high school.

She talked about not being able to keep her job because she’s getting older. When she was 10 years old, she got her first job, and it’s pretty much all she knows. Her first job was at a pet store. Her dog’s name was Sarah, and it was a border collie. I think she has a love of animals because of her first job.
She loved to horseback ride and started around 6 or 7 years old. Some of the names of the horses that she rode were, “Big Red”, “Aristotle” and “Cortez”. She was unable to have horses of her own because she grew up in the Bronx of New York City, New York. She did what was called English horseback riding, and loved it because you jump over bars while on the horse. Her least favorite thing about taking care of horses was the bad stench they gave off, and all the mess that had to be picked up.

As a child, my grandma loved to play with boys mostly, and had a few girlfriends. My grandma avoided wearing dresses, jeans, and t-shirts were her thing. She loved the smell of trees when she climbed in them, and loved to play basketball or other sports to pass the time. One of her favorite friends was named Jan, and they did everything together. Sometimes my grandma and her friends would go and play in a wooded area. It was lots of fun because they could play hide and seek out there or just goof around. My grandma was very tough, and could often be seen fighting other boys, to defend herself from a possible problem. I keep imagining her as a great fighter, defending everyone in the school, and everyone depending on her. On the other hand it’s also hard for me to imagine her fighting people.

Color television didn’t come out until she was in her 20’s. Wow, how weird would that be? Some of the television shows that were out during that time were:
I Love Lucy, Dennis the Menace and Fifties Trivia Quiz. Television became one of the things that she was only able to do on occasion because she was too busy with college, as she got older. I also think it’s cool because I Love Lucy, and Dennis the Menace are still show’s that we can watch.

One of the Universities that she went to was NYU, and Westchester University. She ended up with 2 different diplomas, which resulted in 2 bachelors degrees. She always loved college, and was a very good student. I hope to be like that also. Studying hard and really wanting to succeed were two of her greatest assets. It resulted in her being able to get a job at L3. At L3 they make things for our soldiers at war, so that it makes it possible for us to live. So I guess you could say their a manufacturing company.

It’s funny because sometimes when I look around at the fashions of now, they are somewhat like they were when she was younger. A lot of people wear the same type of jeans that flare at the bottom, like back in the 70’s. Also, the collars and prints were the same. I guess history tends to repeat itself. I am sure that when I am her age, my kids will be wearing the same type of styles I wear now.

Most importantly, I love my grandma Sue because she has told me so many cool stories about her past that I just don’t have the words to express right now. I remember all of the nice things that she’s done for me to sacrifice her time and money in order for me to have a better life. My grandma has always been there for me during tough times. My grandma has gotten me out of all my tough spots, and supported me whenever I needed support.

One of my most treasured moments was when I would spend time with her on the weekends, and she’d have so many awesome snacks for me to eat. I love eating goldfish crackers to this day. She always had a root beer or sprite handy when I got thirsty. It’s the little things like those, that I remember the most, and make my grandma...well, my grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment